Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Embracing the Masters

In recent days and weeks I’ve felt the need to commune with, to consult with, some masters. Whether it has been my own anxieties or fears or concerns about my life, my relationships, or my work, or the reality of having been bit on the upper lip by my dear dog Beau, I’ve recognized I needed some help.

In earlier posts on this blog I talked about perhaps consulting a psychiatrist, getting on anti-depressants, and a number of other assorted potential solutions. But consulting with the masters has really made a world of difference.

Eckhart Tolle is a master of awakening to the presence, or the Being, that is within us, the awareness that we are, that we exist, and that our existence is really defined by what is happening “now.” We only live in the now, not in the past (unless we choose to, which is generally not very healthy) or in the future, which doesn’t yet exist, so how can we live in it? All of our life, every single day is experienced in this one present moment. As long as we recognize that, indeed, embrace it.

Curtis Scott is an expert dog trainer. He came by the house last Sunday evening. Within five minutes he said, of Beau, “He’s a good dog. There are some issues, he needs leadership, he needs to know who’s boss, but he’s a good dog.” Turns out my wife and I have created a bit of a spoiled brat, and we weren’t paying attention to some of what he (and our other dog, Max) needs. Discipline being one of those things.

Tolle and Scott are masters. They have studied their subjects for many years, they have trained and observed and read and listened and heard and seen things that give them insight and wisdom. How foolish would it be of me to not at least listen to their words, their suggestions, their thoughts? And, when I find them compelling and sense-making, how foolish of me would it be to not work to adjust my own behavior such that I can learn and implement the lessons of their wisdom?

I am working (an irony there!) to be in a state of non-resistance, of acceptance, of embrace, of learning, or growing, of maturing to their wisdom. I have small successes and smaller failures. This is okay. What happens happens. What is this moment is, in fact, what is. (And, this is not dependent upon what the meaning of the word “is” is, as William Jefferson Clinton once famously uttered.)

A friend and colleague called me earlier today to give me an update on a project we’ll be working on together in the upcoming days. She told me what she knew about the project and then said something along the lines of, “There might be a 5-minute video scene, but I won’t know about that until Thursday, if that’s okay.” I replied, “Well it is, so I guess it is okay.” Then I joked, “No, it’s not okay, you need to tell me know!” Isn’t that absurd? And yet, how often do we do that sort of thing rather than accepting that what is is? If she doesn’t know, she doesn’t know, and my wishing that she would know won’t change that. Accepting that fact is liberating. Really.

This lesson I learned from a master. I embrace it.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment