Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cory Booker Is Da Bomb

Okay folks. This guy is the real deal. Tonight, my wife and I watched Bill Maher’s show “Real Time” that originally aired last night (Friday, March 6th). Cory Booker, the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, was one of the panelists. This man is a breath of fresh air. He is a pragmatist and a positive person and a true American – what word should I use here? – I’m not particularly fond of the word “hero,” and I don’t know whether or not he’s done anything particularly heroic, so let me just say he’s an American. Who wants to find solutions.

He’s not interested in demonizing others and casting blame and pointing fingers, he’s interested in working to solve problems in our communities. Where we live. Where we work to pay our bills and raise our children and keep our streets safe. This man should be the second African-American elected president, after Barack Obama has served eight years!

There is wisdom in some of the simplest things we were taught when we were young. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Don’t take what isn’t yours. If you borrow a tool or a pen or an anything, put it back where you found it. These are not tough lessons to learn. But, apparently we need to learn them again as a country.

The real estate market didn’t implode by itself. It had help. It had help from greedy speculators who were looking to make a quick buck. It had help from normal folks who thought they could bite off more than they could chew. Regardless, we are all in the fix now, and we all need to try to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. We need to spend wisely and save what we can. We need to support those in our communities who need help. We need to not stuff money into our mattresses, but save it or invest it or spend it – wisely.

But who am I? I’m just another Chicago writer…

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how I felt about Barack Obama when I heard him speak at the 2004 Democratic convention! And before I saw this, I was writing my next blog, which addresses a small part of what you said. The community part. Well, done, ACW!

    ReplyDelete