Thursday, February 19, 2009

New blog, Change template

My mother mentioned in an email that the white type against a black background was/is difficult to read - and I think she's absolutely right! So I have changed the template. I hope this is more pleasing, easier to read, aesthetically... uh, er, better. 

(I recently finished watching Oliver Stone's film "W" so the uhs and ers are just teeming in my head now.) 

The movie? Only okay. Josh Brolin did a masterful job, but there was too much caricature. Too many cheap shots against a man for whom I have little to no sympathy. Richard Dreyfuss was delicious as Cheney, Jeffery Wright apt as Colin Powell, and James Cromwell perfect as "Poppy" Bush, but, really, do we need to be so darned literal in the casting choices? Where is the imagination? Frankly, I think the movie would have been a heck of a lot better if more was fictionalized. Like what Shakespeare did. He did pretty well at that, didn't he? 

You could have a son whose powerful father is disappointed in him and he rises to the highest level of power and fucks things up big-time because he is seeking the approval of his father. Okay? This is what happened. But, the likenesses, etc. are irrelevant, in fact, distracting. This story is mythic, gothic, any other -ic you might wish to apply. Just my late night ramblings on "W." 

Off to bed and ready for another day. (Oh, and the weathermen lied. Snow DID accumulate this evening. I shoveled it.) Ahhh, winter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment