Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Embracing Ambiguity

A friend of mine has a new blog called Lost Glove Found. Another couple of friends - Katerina and Andrew most especially - have been encouraging me to start a blog.

So here I am. At the beginning of a journey of unknown duration, no destination in mind.

Would somebody please tell Roland Burris that the time for him to go has come? I know, The Chicago Tribune called on him to resign today. Good for them. I also sent an email to Senator (barely) Burris's office today asking him to resign.

I'm tired of Chicago and Illinois politics making us look like jerks to the rest of the world. Sure, some of us are jerks in this town, but not everyone.

Anyone who has met my wife can tell you without fear of exaggeration that she is not even remotely jerk-like. Don't take my word for it. Ask anyone who's met her. It's true.

It's snowing again this afternoon but at least the weather folks are saying there is little chance of significant accumulation today. We've had far too much snow in Chicago already this winter. But, enough about that - I certainly have no wish to make this blog simply a vessel for my whining or complaining about the snow. (What some don't know is that the spring, summer, and autumn seasons here in Chicago are so glorious that living through winter makes it all worth it. That is, the year's that we have an autumn this is the case. Last year, we went from 70 degrees on the glorious Election Day to minus fifteen a few days later.)

Some Things I'll Share Before I Close:
  1. There's a very nifty online literary magazine called Public-Republic (http://www.public-republic.net/) I encourage you to visit. They've published some of my recent writing.
  2. I am relieved beyond my ability to express in words that the long eight years of "W" have come to an end.
  3. I am thrilled that Barack Obama and his family are in the white house!
  4. I am currently pursuing (that's precisely the right word - it feels, at times, like I'm chasing it down, running at top speed, lungs aching, breath short, feet beating on the pavement, wind rushing by my face) an MFA in Writing with Spalding University's Brief-Residency Program. I recommend it highly for anyone considering an MFA in Writing.
  5. I am grateful beyond measure for the writing community into which I've become immersed through Spalding.
  6. I don't see the dentist as frequently as I should, but have begun to work on rectifying that. Next visit, next Wednesday. Honest. Made the appointment earlier today.
  7. I am mistrustful of organized religion, but deeply respectful of spiritual people.
  8. I distrust anyone who says they know the one, best, most surefire way to accomplish something. (See above.)
  9. I embrace ambiguity even as it causes me no end of grief. Sometimes.
  10. I'm learning not to title work until it's already been written. And read aloud. At least once.
  11. Let me be clear: Ambiguity in writing is not something I embrace. I think writing should be as specific, detailed, nuanced, subtle, thriving, moving, and alive. Ambiguity in life, it seems to me, is unavoidable.
If you are still here, thanks so much for reading.

6 comments:

  1. I'm still here and will enjoy reading your blog. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'll do my best not to disappoint, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. m nitpicking, but for someone so poised as to be a candidate for an MFA, in point number 3, you state, "the white house" (sic). I am sure you meant, "The White House" as it is the titular name of the building, not merely stating the house in which he resides is painted white or something similar to "the white house on the corner of the block." Sorry for my nuance, but wanted to point that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. m nitpicking, but for someone so poised as to be a candidate for an MFA, in point number 3, you state, "the white house" (sic). I am sure you meant, "The White House" as it is the titular name of the building, not merely stating the house in which he resides is painted white or something similar to "the white house on the corner of the block." Sorry for my nuance, but wanted to point that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm nitpicking, but for someone so poised as to be aa candidate for an MFA, in point number 3, you state, "the white house" (sic). I am sure you meant, "The White House" as it is the titular name of the building, not merely stating the house in which he resides is painted white or something similar to "the white house on the corner of the block." Sorry for my nuance, but wanted to point that out.

    ReplyDelete