Saturday, August 15, 2009

“The Air Around the Butterfly” – a gem of a poetry collection

Katerina Stoykova Klemer’s first book of poems, The Air Around the Butterfly, has recently been published by Fakel Express, a publishing house in Sofia, Bulgeria. While she originally wrote all of these poems in English, she has also translated each of them into her native Bulgarian language and they appear in the book side by side, English and Bulgarian.

Her poetry is elegant, concise, witty, inventive, and often very surprising. She has a knack for bringing inanimate objects (like a spare tire, or letters of the alphabet) to vividly engaging life. Her observations about the world around and within are keen and deeply insightful. Her work is among the most engaging poetry I’ve ever encountered.

I cannot recommend this volume highly enough. Full disclosure: Katerina is a friend and classmate in Spalding University’s brief residency MFA in Writing program, but my personal relationship with her has zero bearing on my deep admiration for her work.

Get this book and savor the poems within. You will not regret it. (It is available to order on Amazon now!)

Namaste.

6 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful book dripping with lyrical poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi,

    Thanks for your comment! I've passed it along to Katerina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobbi,

    Thanks for your comment - I've passed it along to Katerina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bobbi and Brian, I really appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing book! Just full of thought-provoking literature and very open to interpretation! I can't wait to see her when she comes to our school tomorrow! So excited! Jumping up and down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    I am certain that you will have a wonderful time meeting Katerina! She is as delightful as her poetry.

    Have fun! (And tell her I say hello.)

    Brian

    ReplyDelete