Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Post MFA Residency

All right, so I had an initial goal of blogging each day during my recent MFA residency at Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky. I made it to Day Two.

They keep you busy there and exhilarated and excited and challenged and inspired. It was a wonderful residency and terrific to reconnect with students and faculty I’ve known from earlier residencies and to meet some of the newbies – fresh-faced, with big plans, I’m delighted to welcome them into our fold.

Being among a community of writers is a wonderful thing if you are a writer. It makes you feel less alone. Less odd. Less solitary.

Upon returning home to Chicago last Sunday afternoon, I was hit with the reality that the contractors were still not done with our bathrooms – you know, the ones that were supposed to be completed before I left for my ten-day residency? On one hand, the work they’ve done is top notch and looks great (and, I’m very grateful for that) yet on the other hand, God supposedly made the world in six days and these guys have taken nearly thirty (more than twice what they thought it would take) to do two bathrooms!! It’s endlessly distracting to have people banging and pounding on walls and floors and whatever else they can decide to bang and pound on. Not the most conducive environment for writing.

But, I do not wish to complain.

Residency was great. It’s wonderful to be back home with my lovely wife Gloria and our two adorable dogs. And, the bathrooms are almost done.

Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor thing, your bathroom taking 30 days or more! Try 5 months to do two bathrooms! All kidding aside :-), I can't wait to see them! They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five months for two bathrooms??? Yikes! As to the greater than 30 days grip: It is, as in many things, a matter of expectations. We were told it would take two weeks and they didn't finish until yesterday - nearly five weeks after beginning work. The great news is that they are terrific! I look forward to you seeing them too...

    ReplyDelete